We’ve got a one-way ticket to flavor town that also happens to be heart healthy! Taking care of our hearts doesn’t mean sacrificing taste. Over the years, we’ve published many tasty, heart healthy recipes on our site, so we’ve gathered them all here in one place. From zesty salads to cozy soups, consider this your culinary compass to a healthier heart.
According to the American Hearth Association, a healthy diet consists of the following.
- a wide variety of fruits and vegetables
- whole grains and products made up mostly of whole grains
- healthy sources of protein (mostly plants such as legumes and nuts; fish and seafood; low-fat or nonfat dairy; and, if you eat meat and poultry, ensuring it is lean and unprocessed)
- liquid non-tropical vegetable oils
- minimally processed foods
- minimized intake of added sugars
- foods prepared with little or no salt
- limited or preferably no alcohol intake
Thank you to Lovelace Health System for sponsoring this Round-Up of Heart Healthy Recipes.
February is American Heart Month, an important time to raise awareness about cardiovascular health. According to the American Heart Association, heart disease is the leading cause of death for women in the United States and can affect women at any age. But there’s good news: following a heart-healthy lifestyle can reduce your risk for heart disease. Lovelace wants to help you make heart health part of your daily routine. Below are several ways you and your loved ones can be proactive in maintaining a healthy heart:
- Incorporate healthy food choices, including limiting alcohol intake
- Prioritize movement and aim for 30 minutes of physical activity per day
- Manage your stress levels
- Quit smoking
- Stay up-to-date on your health screenings
- Know your blood pressure and check it regularly
Talk to your health care team about checking your cholesterol, triglycerides, and being tested for diabetes.
It is never too early to start having conversations about your heart health. Visit hearthospitalnm.com or call 505.841.1000 for more information.