ABQ Fit Moms and ABQ Mom are teaming up to provide a special space on the internet for encouragement and support in our health, fitness, and overall wellness as mothers!
What is ABQ Fit Moms?
ABQ Fit Moms is a Facebook group that I started at the beginning of February 2018 after I was diagnosed with Lupus. Off and on, I had joint pain in my hands, but I didn’t think much of it until it started to spread to my wrist, elbow, and shoulders. At first, I thought maybe I was working out too hard or I was sleeping wrong. But then it spread down to my knees, ankles, and toes.
One morning I woke up and I could not move. I could not walk. I felt fear come over me. My husband was at work, and I was by myself with my daughter. Calling my husband, I knew something was not right. That day and for many days and weeks after, I spent the majority of my time in bed. If I had a decent day, maybe I was on the couch. That was a painful time in my life. I could not do my “normal.” It was painful to hold my daughter, who was two at the time, and I had a lot of guilt that I could not be there for her how I wanted to. At the time, I felt weak and vulnerable.
Because of the diagnosis, I was determined to get better and live a healthy lifestyle in order to improve my health.
Lupus is a chronic autoimmune disease that attacks the organs or tissue. It can attack the skin, joints, heart, kidneys, brain, and other organs. Ninety percent of Lupus patients are female. However, men, children, and teens can develop lupus too.
I, like many others who have been down this road, found it hard to cope and adjust. I found myself needing support and wanting to support others, especially mamas and caregivers in their own health journey. That is why ABQ Fit Moms was born.
Welcome! ABQ Fit Moms is for moms to connect with other moms in their health journeys. It was created out of love, to encourage and support everyone on their own road to health and wellness.
Here are the details about this group:
- It’s a private online Facebook group (but we hope to get together in the future).
- We are not selling or promoting anything.
- We are here to help! However, we are not professional trainers or nutritionists. Just moms figuring out what works for us as we go.
- This group is for keeping healthy in all kinds of ways. Physical and mental health are both important!
- It’s meant to provide motivation. We all need an extra push, and encouragement from others is a huge help!
- Kindness! Every single person in this group is at a different stage in their journey. Some of us are just starting. Some of us have been at it for a while. And some of us are at our best and just trying to stay there. Please use kind words when speaking to/about each other.
- PLEASE feel free to post at ANY time in the group about anything health-related. Whether it’s a new recipe you tried and loved, a new workout you tried, questions about locations, or even finding another mom to work out with.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help, direction, or advice. Everyone here is learning, and we would all love to share what’s working for us and our families.
- Lastly, have FUN! Make new friends and be kind. We want this group to be different and interactive.
We are all on this journey of life. Let’s be supportive and motivate one another.
I started this group in hopes that I could live a healthier life. And now it’s open to all ABQ moms in search of the same thing. I’d love to see you there!