Help! My Skin is So Dry!
Dry skin in the summer is definitely an issue living in the desert. The older I get the drier it gets too. And what I have recently learned is that overly dry skin can cause you to overproduce oils that eventually cause breakouts. The counterattack is moisturizing! So I’ve had to make some lifestyle changes since living in New Mexico to restore moisture to my skin.
My favorite change has been making my own foaming face washes and serums. It’s actually very easy. Making my own products give me the benefit of knowing exactly what I am putting on my skin. So many market cleansers dry out my skin or cause breakouts with ingredients I can’t even pronounce. So I started using a moisturizing face wash formula that is restoring the moisture to my skin and renewing a youthful glow that’s been missing for quite some time.
With so many essential oils on the market, the brand choices are plenty and the price ranges vary. However, it’s important to consider the following:
- use essential oils you trust from brands you are familiar with
- or use essential oils that have the best reviews and are best for your skin type
Also, it’s very important to pay attention to the ratios when adding essential oils so you don’t add too much and harm your skin with a wash or serum that is too strong.
To help get you started in your search for the oils, I have included links to products that I have tried from Amazon.
Youthful Glow Foaming Face Wash
- 1 8.5 oz foaming soap container
- 8 oz of distilled water (or boiled water that is cooled down)
- 1/4 C Dr. Bronner’s Castile Unscented Soap
- 2 Tbsp Jojoba Oil (You can replace this with an oil of your choice. There are different oils for different skin types. Jojoba is a great oil for all skin types.)
- 4-5 drops Frankincense Essential Oil (I use this one since it is kid-safe)
- 4-5 drops Lavender Essential Oil (I use this one which is also kid-safe)
- Add water to 8.5 oz dispenser first.
- Follow with the remainder of the ingredients.
- Once it’s tightly closed, give it a good shake to mix the ingredients.
- Use 1-2 pumps of foaming face wash to wash your face.
- Gently use circular motions for 20-30 seconds on dampened face and make sure to wash with lukewarm water so that you’re not stripping oils from your skin with hot water.
Youthful Glow Moisturizing Serum
This serum recipe can be doubled or tripled depending on the size of the bottle you chose.
- 1 oz. glass dropper bottle
- 5 drops of Frankincense
- 5 drops of Lavender
- Jojoba oil – Fill remainder of the bottle with oil (or best oil choice for your skin type) leaving enough room for the dropper.
Pat serum on dewey skin right after washing. With regular use of these two DIY products, I’ve noticed a dramatic change in the texture of my skin as well as a healthy glow!
Originally published June 2020.
Pin this post, and follow us on Pinterest.
The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author. They do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of ABQ Mom, its executive team, other contributors to the site, its sponsors or partners, or any organizations the aforementioned might be affiliated with.